Friday, October 17, 2008

A TOUCH OF NATURE

A brief visit to the nest last weekend led me to brunch at the 'Valley Green Inn' for my Pop Pop's 80th birthday. With more or less unforgettable food and an anti-Semitic waitress who spilled a mimosa on my mom's back, as a restaurant, the Valley Green Inn (Located within Philadelphia's enormous Fairmount Park) fails to impress (jk about the anti-Semitic thing). Luckily for this place though, and as so often seems the case in this oh-so-unjust world, it doesn't have to be good, because it happens to be really, really pretty.

The Inn itself is over 150 years old and I don't imagine it's ever looked much better than it did last weekend. It also happens to be surrounded on three sides by woods, and on one side by the bank of Wissahickon Creek, and the fact that it was a perfect autumn day certainly didn't detract from the setting. So regardless of the food or the sloppy service, this place definitely earns its status as one of the jewels of Philadelphia, and I couldn't have asked for a more ideal spot for an early-Fall retreat from NYC in my (cell phone) photo-shooting age. Anyway, I think that's just about all the reading you need to do:



Outside of the Inn, and Paul.



View from the side. That's my dad and my
Bubbi in front of the steps.


Poppop and mom's first cousin, Robin.



The creek!

So that's Philadelphia's Valley Green Inn for you; provided that the weather is nice, I definitely recommend to anyone at least stopping by the area, getting your hike on, and whatnot.

P.S. The restaurant offered all (twelve) of us free dessert and a saran-wrapped, ribbon-tied, pumpkin loaf, for our suffering. We threw it away, of course, out of fear of poisoning.

No comments: