Sunday, October 19, 2008

Square Diner: A Rough in the Diamonds

I don't know how I had never been to this place before yesterday. I didn't even know it existed. Square Diner, dubbed by NY Mag as "An irony-free eatery in the middle of Tribeca" - and what a perfectly gut-busting, weekend breakfast joint it is! Such wonderfully drab decor, such splendidly apathetic service. If ever there were a place that I would presume unchanged by the years, it would be this diner. I really don't know how they are able to maintain such reasonable prices considering their location. Obviously I don't know anything about the place's lease, but as it was rather bustling when I was there, I'm going to venture hopefully to say that (barring a rent hike of epic proportions) it's on course to exist in the next decade.


Square Diner, corner of West Broadway and Leonard St.


View from the outside.


The inside!!!! It's kind of hard to tell from this angle, but the restaurant has a really wacky shape. I had to squeeze into the claustrophobic corner next to the airplane bathrooms at far end of the restaurant (think Rubin butt crack) to take this inside shot.

No comments: